Sunday, December 26, 2010

BSNL: Bull Shit No Line



The first time I got here I was excited to get my connection cause it’s the one thing that relates me home. Being far and all, kinda makes it essential. At that time there were 2 choices. Either I take the campus’s ION, or a private company, BSNL. After much consideration, I took BSNL, cause my ION signal strength wasn’t strong. After a few days of going back and forth to BSNL and paying quite a large sum of money I finally get my connection.

The first time I tried, I couldn’t get my laptop to detect the modem’s signal. I tried so many times, to no avail. As a desperate attempt, I tried to use the LAN cable given together with the modem. By sheer luck, it worked & I got my connection. This is actually wasting money because I could have went with the normal modem & not the wireless one. But I was contented enough & just stuck with the cable.

I heard a few bad comments on facebook on how bad BSNL is. My batchmates had statuses all about the same thing. Something I remember was BSNL=Bull Shit No Line. I didn’t thought much of it cause I did get connected after all. Not exactly what I payed for, but I guess that’s just how things work in India.

Things were okay at first, there were times when there was no connection, but I guess that’s just how it is in India, and it was never for too long. Even after I came back here after the 1 month break, it was still quite okay. But then, after a few weeks, the problems began to escalate. My laptop was disconnected more than it was connected. For it to get connected, I had to restart the laptop a couple of times. And each time, it was a gamble. Sometimes I would finally get connected, sometimes never. This persisted for a few months, but I was patient. I didn’t need the internet that badly anyways.

Still, we all have our limits. Mine was last month. For the whole of October, and November, I didn’t have connection. At one point of time I wanted to stop the service, because I know I’ll be paying for nothing if I didn’t stop. But I was too busy. Still, my need for internet was filled because I would stop at Jon’s room to use his net. It’s a good thing that he’s such a good guy. I guess it was partly my fault for never complaining to BSNL, but hey, I’m a medical student, I don’t have time. Seriously.

In the end, I finally found some time to go to BSNL. I brought the whole thing, planning to stop the service. But when I got there, I thought of giving BSNL a second chance. I told the guy at technical service that I don’t have connection for the last 1 month, and I heard him say. ‘That’s your problem.’ I mean dude, know that I still have to pay, I didn’t say anything about not paying. I’m not that stupid and eventhough I’m not a scholar, I’m not that poor. But since he mentioned it under his voice, I chose to ignore it. He then asked me to bring my laptop which I didn’t at that particular time, so I went back the next day with the laptop too. Good thing it was a different guy. Much more helpful. So I thought. He said ‘Any problem, you call this number’. I went back home & set everything up. Nope. No line. I called, he said to wait a few minutes. Huh? My grandmother could give better advice. And obviously it didn’t work.

I couldn’t find another time to go to BSNL until after I received the bill for the month I didn’t have connection. It was kinda stupid, and I did the exact same thing I swore to myself I won’t do. I swore never to have to pay for connection that I never use. Cause my mum did the same thing, just so that we don’t buang mase main internet. Sigh.. It’s true what they say. The more you try not to be like your parents, the more you become them. Neway, I went to BSNL for the last time, wanting to ask how to stop the connection. The lady said it’s possible, I just have to fill the form. I wanted to, but dunno why i just told her I cant connect to the net & she obviously directed me to technical support.

I was at the place again, but a different person was there. I told him my problem as usual, but this time i simply said no connection for 1 week because he couldn’t care less how long it was. He asked me for my number and said he’ll call and check it out the next day. I was skeptical, but still kinda hopeful. He said he’ll come at 4pm, so after dissection, I straight away came home, and not spending any relax time outside. I waited and waited and he never came. But it was expected.

I was about to give up when suddenly I got internet the next morning. Wow. I was on the net for a few hours before I went to the library to study. The guy called when I was at the library, but since I got back my connection, I don’t see any reason to trouble him to come to my hostel, so I told him ‘Internet working boss, it’s okay, thank very much’. Oh how I regret those words. Because when I came back, no more line. Sigh.. It was worse than not having connection, having it and losing it again. And passing a chance of having the technician come and check out my landline.

By this time, I’m already sick of BSNL and decided just to live on Jon’s internet while still paying for mine. I know that sounds way stupid. But I do get connection once every few days or so. Guess it’s like I’m paying for a very expensive and unreliable internet connection. Truly, BSNL = Bull Shit No Line.

No comments:

Post a Comment